A couple of nights ago, I saw the first episode of a documentary series titled Flying: Confessions of a Free Woman. It's a couple of years old but felt like the things I saw were taking place right here in my livingroom. That's how moving, authentic, humorous, and intelligent the episode was. Can't wait to see the rest of the series.
Flying is directed by filmmaker & artist Jennifer Fox, and it follows her life and the lives of her female friends. During the filming, Fox was 42 years old, single, and sexually liberal. It felt amazing to listen to her experiences and to consider her choices in relation to mine. It felt liberating to hear that she had chosen her own path and by doing so, freed herself from many traditional constructs of womanhood. She was realistic about her experiences, too, recognizing that not everything was fun and games, even if she wasn't bound by motherhood, for example. She battled loneliness, aging, and her status as a single woman.
I felt I had many things in common with Jennifer. I've always had this feeling that I'm strange, somehow out of this world. That I think about things in a way that only a handful of others do. I guess I saw that in her. I sank into this comfortable mellowness after watching the episode. I felt relieved. I felt safe. I felt happy. There was in fact someone at least remotely like me.
A great series, that's my conclusion. I'm definitely going to continue watching Jennifer's travels next week, as she meets women around the world.
Love, Suzy
Tilaa:
Lähetä kommentteja (Atom)

Ei kommentteja:
Lähetä kommentti